As any good Property Manager knows roof leaks not only cause serious problems for their tenants, but also big headaches for them. Sometimes roof leaks require
s a simple repair, other times they are a clue that there is a bigger problem on the horizon.
So, how does a Property Manager or Building Owner know when to replace their commercial roof?
Below are a series of questions to determine the severity of your roof replacement needs.
How old is the roof?
- Less than 5 years old, you may need simple roof maintenance items repaired.
- More than 10 years old, you may need significant repairs.
- More than 20 years old, you should consider a roof replacement, re-cover, or re-roof.
Is the roof currently covered under a manufacturer’s warranty or guarantee?
- Yes or No
Do you have active leaks?
- How intense are the roof leaks?
- Only leaks in heavy rain?
- How many leaks do you have?
- Are they centralized in one location or spread throughout the building?
- Have you noticed any musty smells, mold or water spots on the ceiling?
- Are there any blisters on the roof?
Do you have any standing water on the roof?
- After a moderate rain, do you have any standing or ponding water on the roof?
- How long does it take to drain from the roof?
What is condition is the drainage system, gutters, scuppers and roof drains in?
- Are they clean and free of debris?
- Do you see any cracks or holes in any of the systems?
Do you have a contractor you work with that is a certified applicator, experienced in all facets of commercial roofing and provides excellent service?
If you are unclear about the answers from above, consider reaching out to Metro Property Services. We can perform a 60-point roof inspection of your commercial property and provide a detailed report, complete with pictures.